Wednesday 21 November 2007

more winter tales

This one is from last week, before the snow really fell in Krakow. I needed to get to Nowy Sacz which is some 100km south of town. I didn’t feel like waiting for the tram to take me to the bus stop that would take me to Nowy Sacz. So I decided to ride by bike to the bus stop and chain it to a fence. Now, the temperature wasn’t all that inviting. In fact it was about +2 degrees. My bike thought it was finished for the season. I thought differently. With a million layers of clothes and a scarf covering half my head, I managed to get to my destination which was some 3ks away. I hopped on the bus and was glad to be warm.

Having finished my business in Nowy Sacz and nine hours later the town was knee deep in snow. I was on a bus that was snailing its way back to Krakow at a pace of about 50ks an hour. With a two hour delay I reached Krakow which by this stage had turned into a massive white doona. I scratched my head and wondered what to do with my bike, which I barely found hidden amidst a tonne of white fluff. I started to wheel it and rang Michal to maybe come pick me up. As I hung up I felt disappointed at my lack of trying to rely on myself in a winter blizzard. The disappointment did not last long. Quickly the conviction was formed that I could indeed fight the elements. I got on the sucker and started peddling home.

On a bike with slim line city tires, no gears and only a back peddle brake, I started to think I was going to crack my head on the edge of a footpath (zero helmet, warm winter beanie instead). But the Ukrainian machine rolled on, trenching through the snow like the plough it was not. Michal found me a kilometre away from home, tapped his head with his forefinger exclaiming I really was retarded, took my heavy bag off my back, got back into the car and drove off yelling “I wouldn’t want to spoil your fun!!” Right he was, because I was grinning like a mad idiot happy that I was RIDING MY BIKE IN THE SNOW!!

I only slipped about 10 times and fully stacked it twice. A week has gone by and I do not have pneumonia. Success.


drawing made on an envelope - excuse its shitness


drawing on some more scrap - you get the idea



about 11:30pm, after the ride and before a hot bath - pretty!



desnowing - an activity done by all who have no garage

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the splitting image of your mother!

Natalia

Anonymous said...

tell michal i love his hat - it makes him look like a very distinguished english chap...indeed!

Karen said...

you're a retard but you're pretty good at drawing.

Anonymous said...

To leave the hot of Oz and go to the variable of Poland one would think you stark raving bonkers.

Well you are. But your choice of country is a good one.

Having enjoyed the hospitality of the Poles many times and enjoyed the beautful scenery outside Krakow I envy you and Michal so much.

Take it easy and continue the prose.

Ian