Friday 7 September 2007

cooking means war

I have been battling with the pumpkin. And I will continue to write about it until the damn thing disappears from my fridge and my milk can return to its proper shelf. The sucker is:

a. heavy
b. tough
c. awkward to carry
d. stubborn

I finally did manage to mangle it and cooked a pumpkin curry. Despite Wong’s polite advice to email his mother, I decided to take on the challenge solo. The curry was delicious. I had some red curry paste I made from scratch some weeks earlier that I had frozen. Finding fresh galangal and fresh kaffir leaves in Krakow set me into a frenzy of excitement and I whipped up various curry pastes to last us the whole winter. Unfortunately as I finished preparing the dish I realised I had run out of rice. Being a lazy sod at the best of times, I dug out some buckwheat from the back of the cupboard instead, convincing myself it is kind of like rice. It’s not.

Note: buckwheat goes badly with curry. It also makes the poo curry colour look even more pooey. Makes a bad photo for a foodie post on one’s blog.

Today I whipped up some pumpkin soup. Recipe from my uber zuper cook cuz Marta. She adds coconut milk. Yummo. It’s been raining heavily here for the last 6 days or so, so hearty hot meals have been craved my most healthy bodies. Now there is only ¾ of the pumpkin left. Maybe I’ll go and feed the neighbourhood.


killing the beast


ugly buckwheat


beast dominates


tasty treat in the making


Off to my parents place for the weekend. They don't know we're coming. Hope they'll be home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should make pumpkin pokora - they are bloody delicious

Anonymous said...

have you got a pac man in your fridge?

h

Michael Wong Thye Seng said...

Stynky, you're priceless!

By the way, I think all the curry is is coconut cream, onions, cashew nuts, pumpkin, garlic, and spices.

Fry everything off in oil except pumpkin; add pumpkin and coconut cream and water to cover; simmer; add cashews towards the end. Serve with basmati rice and salad.

Anonymous said...

The pac man comment is the truest statement of this blog thus far.

Natalia

justyna said...

Re: pac man - pissed my pants.